Microgreens are some of the most nutritious foods there are.
Researchers Were Stunned
Leafy green plants are known to be highly nutritious and packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Only recently have researchers learned that the microgreen stage of many of these plants is even more nutrient-dense than the adult stage of growth.
The most important confirmation of this has come out of the University of Maryland College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in the studied titled “Assessment of Vitamin and Carotenoid Concentrations of Emerging Food Products: Edible Microgreens.” It was published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry in July 2012. You can read the study in its entirety here.
To summarize, in this study researchers wanted to determine the exact level of nutrients in microgreens compared to their mature counterparts. What they found was amazing. They found that microgreens contained 4 to 40 times more nutrients than the mature versions of the same plants varieties. In fact, the cotyledon leaves, only found on the young microgreen shoots, are the most nutrient-dense parts of the plants.
More specifically, they found that microgreens are packed with:
- Vitamin A / Carotenoids – support healthy vision and immune function; linked to a decreased risk of Hodgkin’s lymphoma, cervical, lung and bladder cancer
- Vitamin C – a powerful antioxidant that’s best consumed from food; fights inflammation, improves immune function, lowers blood pressure, reduces risk of heart disease, and has anti-cancer properties
- Vitamin E – promotes increased brain health, boosts immunity, and supports healthy skin and eyes; may have anti-cancer activity and cholesterol-lowering properties
- Vitamin K1 – integral to blood coagulation, controlling blood clotting and preventing blood loss during injury; supports bone health and heart function
- Flavonoids – antioxidants that regulate cellular activity, fight off free radicals and reduce inflammation; reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes and other chronic diseases
- Leutein – an antioxidant in the carotenoid family that supports eye and skin health
- Tocopherols – neuro-protective, anti-cancer, cholesterol reducing, and fracture healing
Varieties and Nutrition
Each of the varieties below deserves its own page dedicated to the amazing benefits it offers! In general, all microgreens are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The benefits of which range from cancer prevention, increased cardiovascular health, and reduced inflammation. They are also great for people with type-2 diabetes and weight loss.
We are currently growing all of the varieties listed below:
Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Folate, and Protein.
Extremely high in Vitamin K1
The nutrition of broccoli is well rounded with many of the vitamins and minerals discussed above.
Work in progress
Work in progress
- Fun Articles